Instructional coaching, at its core, is to aid in the learning and development of a teacher or school employee that brings about positive change for the individual, students and school.
According to Marzano and Simms (2013), the goals of coaching are
- To point teaching toward best practices
- To show teachers what good teaching looks like
- To help teachers maintain their best performance
- To help teachers achieve “flow”, and
- To help teachers take risks
In addition, we believe that instructional coaching should positively impact student engagement and achievement, as well as build teacher capacity within the school.